Logo for Pieper Veterinary
Emergency ServicesSpecialty Services Menu

Toxic Ingestion in Dogs & Cats

Toxin ingestion is a common reason for emergency visits. Many items, foods, and plants commonly kept around the house can be seriously dangerous to pets when ingested – some can even be deadly. If your pet has ingested a substance that you know to be seriously or fatally toxic, head to an emergency veterinarian immediately.

You should always call ASPCA Animal Poison Control (888-426-4435) if your pet has ingested a potentially toxic substance. For an $85 fee, you can speak with an expert who can tell you if your pet is in danger, signs to watch for, and the next steps to take.

Deadly Toxins Include:

  • Xylitol (artificial sweetener found in chewing gum and sugar-free candies)
  • Lily flowers
  • Antifreeze and common cleaning or cooling products
  • Prescription medications

Stay Informed

Whenever your pet needs us, we’re hear to help. Connect with our email list for the latest pet health news and tips.

By submitting, you will be subscribed to Pieper’s email list. We value your privacy and you may unsubscribe at any time.

For Pet Owners

View Resources

For Referring Vets

View Resources