Logo for Pieper Veterinary
Emergency ServicesSpecialty Services Menu

Shock Symptoms in Cats & Dogs

Shock is a severe, full-body reaction that requires immediate emergency treatment.

Shock can be triggered by many different things, including allergic reactions (anaphylaxis), loss of blood or fluids, heatstroke, heart disease, or anything else that can cause a sudden drop in circulation. When that drop happens, the body goes into shock. If not treated quickly, it can cause severe or fatal damage.

What To Look For:

  • Weakness, collapse, or disorientation (unconsciousness, trouble standing, loss of balance, seeming “out of it”)
  • Pale or grey/blue-tinted gums, tongue, and skin
  • Cold to the touch
  • Rapid, shallow breathing
  • Faint or weak heartbeat
  • Vomiting (if combined with any of the above symptoms)

Stay Informed

Whenever your pet needs us, we’re hear to help. Connect with our email list for the latest pet health news and tips.

By submitting, you will be subscribed to Pieper’s email list. We value your privacy and you may unsubscribe at any time.

For Pet Owners

View Resources

For Referring Vets

View Resources