The recent winter storm has covered the state in ice, and with it, has brought some unexpected dangers! This beautiful girl is Lavie, a 1-year-old Lab mix who decided to sneakily grab a snack from a bag of icemelt (a chemical mix used to keep roads and sidewalks unfrozen). Her family brought her to our emergency hospital in Middletown, where she saw Dr. Tipton.
Icemelts are toxic to dogs and cats, but luckily Lavie's bloodwork showed that she hadn't eaten quite enough to have any severe side effects. After getting some fluids to keep her hydrated and some stomach meds, she was able to go back home with her family.